Home Advice About Us Outreach Staff Vacancies Volunteer Vacancies Current Issues Support Us Warm Home Grants Contact Us Disclaimers

© Copyright: Citizens Advice, Sudbury, Suffolk. All rights reserved.

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN Number 617758

Sudbury & District Citizens Advice is an operating name of Sudbury & District Citizens Advice.

Registered Office: Sudbury & District Citizens Advice, Keyse House, Acton Lane, Sudbury, Suffolk. CO10 1QN.

Charity registration number 1123466 Company limited by guarantee. Registered number: 6051096 (England and Wales)

Home - About Us - Advice - Benefits - Health - Debts - Money Advice - Tax - Relationships - Family - Legal - Work - Housing - Education - Immigration & Nationality - Warm Home Grants - Vacancies - Volunteering - Research & Campaigns - Support Us - Contact Us - Graphics


Telephone lines:

Monday - Thursday

10:00am - 3:00pm


Monday - Thursday

10.00am - 1.00pm

Reception opens at 9.30am. We begin advice at 10.00am on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability.

There is no public parking.   The nearest parking is in Girling Street car park. For those with mobility issues, we do have limited parking.  Please either phone us on the above number, or email us on advice@sudburycab.org.uk to book a disabled parking space.

Find Us

Keyse House

Acton Lane



CO10 1QN

Website Problems?

Telephone 01787 321400 or Contact us by Email:



Who can claim in your area?


SCAM ALERT!! Please read!!


Citizens Advice National Website

Secure Self Employment

Secure Self Employment

 As WTC have to be claimed annually but are based on the previous year’s earnings, HMRC have clarified that new claimants will be checked against this test if their previous years income from self employment is less than the number of working hours declared by the claimant on their new claim times the standard rate of the national minimum wage.  If their earnings fall below the threshold based on the hours they declare they may be selected for a check.

 Existing claimants will gradually be checked to see if they also meet this new test.

 Working hours are defined as any hours which are costed to the client/customer for producing the order or service.  Additional activities can also be counted a qualifying hours such as: trips to wholesalers/retailers, time spent on advertising/canvassing/marketing, travelling to and from business premises not their home, book-keeping, research work, cleaning, travelling to clients to give quotes etc.

- The information HMRC asks for should be available as part of normal business activity, for example receipts and expenses, records of sales and purchases. They may also ask for supporting documents such as a business plan, planned work, cash flow and profit projections.

- During the early stages of self-employment it may prove difficult to make a profit. If someone in this situation claims WTC they may be asked to show that they have a commercial approach and how their business would become profitable. This could be demonstrated in a business plan.

- HMRC will use the information provided to reach a decision about the claimants’ current WTC award.

- Claimants may lose their WTC if they cannot provide the evidence they ask for and may have to repay any tax credits they are not entitled to.


From April to get Working Tax Credit (WTC) self-employed people will need to pass the new test.

All new claimants who are using self-employed work to meet the qualifying remunerative work test for WTC, must:     

- Be registered as self employed with HMRC

- Show that they are trading on a commercial basis and their business is done with a view to achieving profits.

- Their self-employment should also be structured, regular and ongoing.  (for example, if their business activity is a hobby it is not likely to be consider  commercial or have an expectation of realising a profit)

Download the Document